Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Glasgow Jazz Festival 2012

I've been going to the Glasgow Jazz Festival on and off for years, always attracted by its adventurous contemporary programming. This year I was fortunate enough to be able to cover it for Jazz Journal, so we headed up north for 5 nights determined to cover as many bases as possible.



It hardly stopped raining in all the time we were there, but there was some superb music to be heard, with several artists surpassing all expectations and playing really stunning sets. Louise discovered a Bavarian-style micro-brewery and gastro-pub near the People's Palace - great currywurst for me, veggie kartoffelsalat and rye bread for her - and Tinderbox on Ingram Street are still selling some of the best coffee you'll find anywhere.

So, here are the links to the reviews:

Pharoah Sanders
Robert Glasper Experiment
Neil Cowley Trio & the JTQ
Svara-Kanti & Tommy Smith
Ginger Baker

I've also finished writing up my interview/article with Marius Neset, so for once there are no deadlines looming and I might just be able to slow down and sit back. Coinciding with the Tour de France, I'd call that perfect timing.

More soon...

Fred

No comments: