Tuesday, 15 November 2011

London International Jazz Festival...

Tomorrow marks the start of the now annual trip to the London International Jazz Festival. So many tantalising gigs that we've already missed, and many more that we'll miss because I'm yet to discover a reliable way of being in more than one place at a time.

A really good cross-section of modern artists lined up though - Marcin Wasilewski; Stefano Bollani; Martial Solal; Empirical (with Robert Mitchell); Roy Haynes; Peter King; Henry Threadgill; John Escreet; Bill Frisell, and best of all Archie Shepp with my all time favourite pianist Joachim Kühn, who stunned me back in the '90s with one of the most intense solo performances I've ever witnessed. That wild unkempt hair says it all, this man takes no prisoners... 



We may find a few more gigs to see, perhaps Arild Andersen and Tommy Smith's ECM 'tribute', but come what may I'll be armed with the trusty iPad and Pages App and sending my missives to Jazz Journal editor Mark Gilbert for instant publication on the website.

Hopefully they'll appear online the following day, though I doubt I'll have time to do much for Afric Pepperbird. If however you're in any way curious about just which shade of scintillating Joachim conjures, you may well find the answer here...

Fred Grand


1 comment:

Angel said...

Oh how I love jazz :)

I would've loved to have gone, and I do agree that Kuhn is a great pianist.