Saturday, 19 June 2010

Beuys will be Beuys...

Fresh from a trip to London, here's a few low-res images taken on the iPhone which partly encapsulate the break. It was great to see one of my favourite pieces of art at Tate Modern (Joseph Beuys's 'The Flock After The Pack'), one which I wondered if I'd ever see...  


We also caught some cracking contemporary jazz at Ronnie Scott's from Kyle Eastwood's tight 'Metropolitain' band, had a memorable curry at Aladin's on Brick Lane, made good use of the iPad, did a modest amount of shopping at budget outlets including Skandium and Fortnum & Mason, and walked ourselves into the ground. 



While Louise was at the conference which provided the pretext for the whole trip I was pleased to catch up with my buddy Gregg Brennan, the now ex-Toronto based drummer/bandleader who has set down roots in London to get closer to the European music that inspires us both. The hours flew past, and hopefully it won't be long before he's got a band together to play his own stuff.


At the moment I'm putting the finishing touches to the interview I did with Tommy Smith last March, but as soon as I get that out of the way I'll make a concerted effort to do some more blogging and to get some old reviews posted. Not much live jazz coming up (I'm NOT going to hear Wynton Marsalis), but I'll be a happy spectator at a couple of gigs Louise has singled out - Suzanne Vega, then Elvis Costello's latest Americana inspired group (which should include the great Jerry Douglas)...

Fred Grand




No comments: