Wednesday, 27 June 2007

Let's hear it for the critic...

Last week I was looking at the press section of the ECM website, trying to find some info on David Torn's killer new release - part of my latest batch of reviews for the magazine. I didn't find anything, but I did notice that they'd used a couple of quotes from old reviews of mine to promote their wares!!

For all I know there may be more, but I saw clips from my reviews of Mark Feldman's What Exit and Arild Andersen's Electra.

I think it was Mark Twain who first said "Nobody ever built a statue to a critic!", but I couldn't help feeling just a little bit good at finding my stuff on ECM's hallowed pages. Knowing that somebody out there does take notice, and that there may actually be some point to what I'm doing, is the only statue I'll ever need. I must also point out that statues tend to get shat on from a great height by pigeons and seagulls. Just one of many reasons why, all things considered, I'd be happy to forgo such an honour...

4 comments:

Gary said...

'grats Fred! Let me know when that David Torn is available - what a guy!

GB said...

Fred! Congratulations man! That really is great, something to be proud of, statue or no, it IS ECM we are talking here!


G

Hackensack said...

Fred, I can assure that you that quite a few labels quote your reviews in their information packs. Which shouldn't come as a surprise - your reviews are way above average.

When the statue does finally appear will it include the bike as well?

Ferdinand said...

Thanks Hackensack, and you've seen more new release info-packs than most!!

Still, that's little consolation for not making it onto jessicawilliams.com!!

As for the bike, nothing much to celebrate there at the moment!! Maybe I'd get a Cycling Proficiency Badge if they still do them?